Google
 

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Are you Still Trying to Feed the Hungry Children in China? I Am

Pop, my beloved grandfather, always reminded us to never put on our plates more than we can eat and to always eat everything we did put on our plates, because, as you know, there are children starving in China who would be thrilled to have what we throw away. So we did. The second part. We ate everything we put on our plate. And our waistlines grew. So did our ability to eat large amounts of food as did our inability to leave food uneaten. And, oh my, waste food by throwing it away? We could never do that!
No, I am not blaming my dear grandfather for my eating challenges. After all he was a young man during the depression. He valued everything and wasted nothing. By the way, he did not overeat. He followed the first part of his instructions to us. He didn't put on his plate more than he could eat.
Hmmmm. Things are still going well with Paul McKenna's eating plan. I do, however, have a challenge, a hurdle that I must overcome if I am ever to really reach the weight I would like to be at and have the ability to maintain it.
The problem? Often when I am eating, and by the way, I do now put small amounts of food on my plate, I begin to feel full and I still have food left on my plate!!! Sometimes it is just a few bites, sometimes it is a lot. And oh, it is so hard to stop eating! I realize that I can take my leftovers, put them in the fridge and eat them later, but for some reason making myself stop eating is just hard.
This hurdle will be a dream snatcher if I allow it to be. This realization brings into focus the necessity of conquering it completely now, not later. I am contemplating this dilemma and will write more about it in the coming days.

No comments: