Google
 

Saturday, May 3, 2008

Food and Family Reunions

You know it's going to be there. You know you will have to face it, and you will win or lose. You will be in a 'slippery place' with 'slippery people' and there is no getting around it. Food will also be there. Family reunions are wonderful. They are precious moments in time when you have the opportunity to be with those you love, but don't often see. The downside for those of us who are trying to downsize our size is that there will lots of wonderful food, especially desserts. Oh, the temptation!

I went to a family reunion today, after spending the night with my precious grandmother who, by the way, is now 97. At this family reunion were aunts, uncles, and lots of cousins of all ages. Our short time together is always wonderful, especially since my parents both passed away. I guess in my parents absence, the rest of the family just seems more precious to me.

Anyway, as always, we have a fabulous meal together. In recent years these meals have been catered by local restaurants, with all of us supplying desserts. This year we had chicken fried steak and grilled chicken, baked potatoes, green beans salad, and garlic bread, and an abundance of homemade pies, cakes, cookies, and cobblers. Oh, my, what was a girl to do?

It was very interesting. Since I have incorporated some of Paul McKenna's techniques into my lifestyle, I realyl didn't have a problem. I didn't deny myself anything, but I knew that I was not going to overeat. I would eat until I was satisfied and then quit.

I asked for and received the smallest chicken fried steak they had, topped with some cream gravy. I got half a baked potato, a serving of green beans, and half a slice of bread. I made sure that I ate slowly, putting down my fork and knife in between bites. I enjoyed visiting with my family and did not rush my meal. I ate almost everything on my place then went to the dessert table. I got a tiny sliver of cheese cake. Yes, it was tiny, just over 1/2 inch in width. I thoroughly enjoyed every tiny bite of the tiny serving. I ate a very small chocolate chip cookie, and then later in the afternoon, I indulged in about 1/3 cup of "Death by Chocolate" pudding. I was then very satisfied and did not feel guilty about anything.

Victory!!! Oh, yes, I am down another half pound!!! 31 1/2 pounds lost!!! Thank you, Paul McKenna!

No comments: