Google
 

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Illness and Blood Sugar

Rash, fever, headaches, cold symptoms, etc. I have had a virus the last few days and felt pretty bad. Today my fever is down, the rash is better, so I feel better! This morning I decided to check my blood sugar. I hadn't checked it in several days, because I had been to sick to care. Mistake.

My blood sugar this morning, before eating anything, was 160 which is very high for me. I was shocked. There was no telling how high my blood sugar had been the last few days. I will never know.

Because I am diabetic and because we have Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance, I am part of a program called LifeMasters. On a regular basis a LifeMaster's nurse calls me and checks on how I am doing. They check on my medications, whether or not I have been sick, and they always ask about my blood sugar levels.

This morning just before I got out my glucose monitor, I remembered their comments about consistently checking my blood sugar, knowing for sure whether or not it was in the low, normal or high range.

Probably the infection of this illness had shot my blood sugar levels to the upper ranges of my glucose monitor the last few days. Again, I will never know. Lesson learned

No comments: