Google
 

Monday, June 13, 2011

Yoohoo! I'm Still Here!!

Yes, it has been a long time. I have spent the last two years, just eating and eating and lying to myself. The scales continued to climb, and my clothes continued to get tighter and tighter.
Well, I'm back now, because health issues have lifted the 'rose colored veil' and give me a crystal clear view of what I need to do to enjoy the rest of my life with good health. I have a story to share, well two stories. One about me and one about my husband.

My story began about May 1st. I noticed a large bump on the back of my neck. It came up quickly within just a few days and was the color of a bruise, black, red, blue. Every day the bump was a little bigger and more sore than the day before. I went to the doctor on May 6. She said I had an infected sebaceous cyst and prescribed Bactrim, an antibiotic I had taken various times in my life. I took my first dose that night.
Making a long story, well, not as long, I developed a severe reaction to the antibiotic, called Stevens Johnson Syndrome. a life threatening rash. Thanks to an excellent dermatologist, the rash was 'stopped in its tracks', and I recovered within a few days.
In order stop the rash, the doctor prescribed hefty doses of prednisone, a steroid which sends blood sugar of diabetics 'through the roof'. For the first time in a very long time, I began to test my blood sugar. I had no choice.

Once I began testing my blood on a regular basis and once again paying attention to what I was eating, I slowly realized that it was time for me to seriously begin doing some things that were good for me. Yep. It was time to begin a new project --getting healthy.
Tomorrow, my husband's story.

No comments: