Google
 

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

When Losing Weight Every Bite Matters

When I'm not losing weight, I'm gaining weight. That has been my history.  I'm either all in, or I'm completely out. No middle ground. No moderation.

When I am not working to control my weight, I tend to let myself believe that some bites are not important. The bites I take to 'test' the flavor of whatever I'm cooking don't matter. The bites I take as I'm clearing leftovers from the table don't matter. The bites I take just even out the cutting on the cake or pie to make it look nice don't matter. Just another illusion in the state of denial.

The truth is that all those bites I mentioned above contain calories and therefore, matter. Period. I know this. Yes, I do.  However, making myself not take those bites is very difficult, probably one of the hardest habits for me to establish and the easiest to break.

Another important truth is that refraining from taking those bites is a measure and indicator of the level of my commitment to my weight loss goal. How am I doing right now? Well, I'm not there yet, but every day is better than the day before.

Perhaps I need to focus on progress, not perfection.

No comments: