Google
 

Saturday, July 21, 2007

gain, lose, gain, lose, gain

Maintaining a healthy weight has always been next to impossible for me. It seems that all my life I have been either gaining or losing, never maintaining. Again. Not healthy. I am going to work to make sure that the weight I lose now, stays off. Yes, this is much easier said than done, but I am going to think positively here. Of course, I must do more than think positively and when I am ready to cross that bridge, I know I will do what is necessary to keep from gaining back my weight.

I am an over 50 woman who lives in Texas. I have been a teacher for many years, but am currently a Mary Kay Director. I have a wonderful husband who has been with me and loved me through 'thick and thin'. He is my best friend, and strongest supporter. We have two grown children, a son and a daughter, who continually make us proud. Our daughter is married to 'my favorite son-in-law', a wonderful man who has become solidly part of our family.

I grew up in a family that was compulsive---about food. We did not drink alcohol and it was a good thing. If we had been raised with alcohol, my sisters and I are sure that we would all be alcoholics! Food was our addiction, our drug of choice, our compulsion.

Therefore, I have battled all my life with controlling my desire to eat. For periods of time I would be in control of my appetite and sometimes it was in control of me.

About 15 years ago I joined Overeater's Anonymous. A wonderful decision. It gave me hope. I will be writing more about my time in this organization and the things I learned.

If you know and understand what I mean about eating compulsively, I encourage you to find an Overeaters Anonymous meeting in your area. You can log on to www.oa.org and find local meetings as well as online meetings.

Of course, because dieting is a health issue, please talk to your doctor before beginning any weight loss program.

Today has been a good day for me. It is my 2nd day on this low carb, no processed carb, no sugar diet. I have to be creative with my food, because I have not yet gone to the store and bought appropriate food. So I ate what I have on hand.

It feels good to be winning again, by losing!

No comments: