Google
 

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Is it Bad Carbs vs. Good Carbs? Or is it No Carbs?

About 15 years ago I lost 75 pounds by eating only sugar free, low fat foods. I didn't even think about carbs. I kept the weight off for almost 3 years before gradually gaining it back. :(
When I was diagnosed as diabetic, my doctor recommended a very low carb diet. I wasn't impressed and really had no desire to follow it. So I didn't. However, I did cut back on my sugar intake which was enough to keep my blood sugar under control most of the time. Good enough? Not really because I was still eating too much and gaining weight.
So when Lisa told me about the diet her doctor had put her on and that Adam's doctor had recommended the same type of diet, surprisingly, I was ready to embrace it.
Their doctors recommended a "no processed carb diet". They eat no breads, crackers, rice, pasta, etc. No even the 'low carb' processed starches. They eat meat, dairy, veggies, and fruit. At some time in the future they may add whole grains.
As I begin this same diet, I am reevaluating the things I have previously known and believed about healthy dieting.
Included in this post are some websites about carbs. I suggest that you check them out for yourself and draw your own conclusions.

http://www.goodcarbs.org/#dont_avoid_carb

http://www.wellnesschiro.com/Confused_about_Carbos.htm

This is my 3rd day on this diet and so far, things are going well. However, this morning I did open the door to my pantry and came face to face with a Pringle's can. I quickly decided that whatever I needed in that pantry wasn't important and closed the door. Yea!!!!!!!

No comments: