Google
 

Thursday, October 4, 2007

Post Crisis Overeating

Sometimes the real temptation to use food as a release, as a comfort, as a diversion is not in the midst of a crisis, but rather when the crisis begins to pass. We tend to have pent up emotions as well as fatigue which rises to the surface when the adrenalin of the moment begins to subside.

I was reminded of that today when I walked into the hospital cafeteria and saw the pasteries again. No, I wasn't seriously tempted to 'go astray', but the thoughts that crossed my mind were enough to let me know that I can not let down my guard even a little bit.

Mom, my grandmother, is slowly recovering, slowly getting stronger. The crisis has passed. I am tired physically and emotionally. It would be so easy to give in to the temptation, to just have one cinnamon roll or some other equally delicious but 'evil' dish.

Each and every time we say 'no' to our overeating temptation, we also say 'yes' to being a stronger person, not being driven and controlled by our addictions.

No comments: