Google
 

Friday, September 14, 2007

No Self Pity Here

It was in 1992, I think. Yes, it was in January (as per New Years Resolution), 1992, that I joined Overeaters Anonymous. When I joined I immediately committed to living as a recovering compulsive overeater and daily, sometimes hourly, sought to refrain from abusing food.
I mentioned in a previous post about going to teacher's meetings, church fellowships, and other such activities and not eating anything, just drinking a diet soda or water.
Right from the 'get go' I decided that I would not allow self pity to be a part of my recovery. I would not look longly at someone else's plate and wish for what they were eating. I would not talk about the things I could not eat. I would not try to make anyone feel guilty for eating 'forbidden' foods in my presence.
When I was in a situation that involved those foods, I decided to concentrate just on the people I was with and enjoy their friendship and fellowship rather than putting on a long, "poor me" face.
Yes, it was a conscious decision. It didn't just happen. I had to make it happen. There were times when self pity would have been so easy, and everyone would have understood why I would be 'blue'. After all not being able to eat that cheesecake is kinda sad.
However, choosing to be positive rather than negative about my addiction, helped me to concentrate on the things I was gaining, by losing weight.
Life is so much better when you choose to be optimistic rather than pessimistic. Don't you agree?

No comments: