Google
 

Saturday, September 22, 2007

No food, No Problem!

What a long day it was. It was a day that made me very aware of how my current eating plan has benefited my blood sugar levels. This alone is reason enough to not go back to my old way of eating.
My 96 year old grandmother, Mom, is sick. She has not been feeling well for several days and her caretaker called me. I set up a doctor's appointment for her and drove to her house which is about 112 miles from my home. I spent the night at her house, got up early the next morning, and fixed breakfast for both of us. I ate a boiled egg and some cottage cheese.
We ate about 8:00 that morning. Her doctor's appointment was scheduled for 10:00. After his examination, he wanted her to have a cat scan that afternoon. We went straight to the hospital so that the test preparations could begin.
Because of this there was no opportunity for me to each lunch. The 'preps' for the cat scan did not go well at first because Mom threw up the solution they asked her to drink. They gave her some medication, and she was able to drink that awful stuff and keep it down. Yea!
This hold up delayed the test for about 2 hours. I still had no food. We did not get home until after 5:00 P.M., which meant that I went over 10 hours without eating.
As a result of being on a no processed carb diet, I could go without food for this length of time without having a 'hypoglycemic moment'. My blood sugar stayed level enough that I did not 'crater' and get the shakes or become light headed. I was hungry and yes, my stomach did growl, but it was not a problem. I could handle a growling stomach.
In my previous high carb life, the day would have been a disaster. I would have had a major hypoglycemic attack which would have not been a good thing, especially with me trying to take care of Mom.
I had read that one of the benefits of this kind of diet was the stabilization of blood sugar which sounded great to me. However, having experienced it personally made me appreciate this eating plan even more.

No comments: