Google
 

Saturday, April 21, 2018

My Middle of the Night 'Epiphany'

Sometimes it takes years. Years for the true significance of an event to be realized. Yes, I finally understood the truth, the meaning of an event that happened to me about 8 years ago.

The event:  It was a regular school day. Lunchtime for teachers is a hurried moment. We get on the average about 20 minutes to eat on a good day, when you don't have to wait to use the microwave or the restroom.  I was sitting at a table with a group of other teachers, sharing a quiet, but quick moment to chat and eat.  Eating at our table was a teacher who was new to our school, and it was our first time to eat together.  She had a wonderful lunch which contained a small sandwich, chips, and fruit, raspberries, grapes, etc.  We talked and ate, enjoying out time, when she did something I had never seen before.  This teacher suddenly said, "I'm full." She took not one more bite. Instead she put away her food, and continued to visit with us until time to leave.

Outwardly, I was still smiling, visiting, and eating. Inwardly, I was shocked.  Just image. She had wonderful food.  How could she just stop eating and put it away?!? I understood what she did and why she did it, but I could not understand HOW she did it.  Stop eating just because you are full.  What a concept!

In the next post I'll discuss what this event finally came to mean in my life.

No comments: