Google
 

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

There is Hope in Paractice.

Is it possible for someone who does not have natural artistic talent to become a painter of landscapes and still life compositions? Is it possible for someone with no natural athletic ability to learn to play tennis? Is it possible for someone who has no natural musical ability to learn to play a musical instrument? My answer to that is yes, yes, and yes.  Will these non naturally talented people be great artists, athletes, or musicians? Probably not, but I believe that with enough practice almost anyone can learn almost any skill at least to a competent level, and perhaps a proficient level.  The key here is 'enough practice', which requires dedication, consistency, desire, and work ethic.

So what does all that mean for me and all my other not naturally slender friends out there in blog land? My middle of the night musings led me to this conclusion: That the skill that naturally slender people naturally have is a skill that I can learn! With enough practice, I will eventually be able know when I am full. I will be able to tell myself when to stop eating, and then I will be able to do it!  What a concept! Here's the challenge: with enough practice.  It will require dedication, consistency, desire, and yes, work ethic.

So here's my new way of looking at my eating challenges:  Every time I sit down to a meal, I have the opportunity to practice the skill that I have been missing all my life, which is the ability to stop eating when I am full.  Practice. Practice. Practice.  Three times a day.  In between meals, I have the opportunity to practice wise snacking, not grazing.

Yes, this gave me hope and optimism for my future health.  More in the next post.  

No comments: