Google
 

Friday, April 27, 2018

Delay, not Deprived

It has been about six weeks since my Middle of the Night Epiphany. Since that time I have 'practiced' the skill of stopping my meal immediately when I begin to feel full every time I eat.  I have also not allowed myself to just nibble between meals, when I am not hungry. Instead I eat fruit or nuts if I really need something for a snack. As a result I have lost almost 13 pounds and am enjoying being able to wear clothes that were too snug.

There are moments every day when I have to say to myself, "NO!", as I reach for another bite of something at the end of a meal or between meals.  Long held habits are hard to break.

Often at the end of a meal, I will look st my plate and think, "But the food that's still here is yummy, and I don't want to stop!" Yea. Hard.

I was sharing with a friend about how I am changing my way of eating, and she asked me if I ever feel deprived when I don't get to eat all that I want.  Well, my answer to that has to be yes, but I don't let it bother me.  Sometimes I can put my leftover yummy food back and eat it later.

If my husband and I go out to eat, I may order a full meal and eat only a fourth of it.  I'll carry the rest home and get at least two more meals from it.  In that way I don't feel deprived, because I know that I'll be able to eat the food eventually.

No comments: