Google
 

Friday, April 11, 2008

Golden Rule #3, by McKenna

"Eat Consciously and Enjoy Every Mouthful" Ok. that sound good, doesn't it? Paul McKenna's reasoning here is that we (overweight people, that is) eat much too quickly, shoveling food into our mouths, and not thinking about the taste or texture of it. He stresses that when we put a bite of food into our mouths, we should put down our fork and knife and put our hands into our laps while we chew. We should also chew each bite at least 20 times before swallowing. (try doing that with cottage cheese!) While chewing, we should think about and concentrate on the bite we have in our mouth. How does it taste? What is the texture?

By eating this way, we consciously savor every bite, not at all eating thoughtlessly. He also says that we should not eat in front of the TV, but at the dining table away from all distractions. My husband said that was a waste of good TV time!!

My question is: What about people that have only a short amount of time to eat? Being a former teacher, I remember what it is like to have to rush through lunch every day. By the time I got my class to the cafeteria, ran to the restroom, got my lunch, heated it into the microwave, I might have 15 minutes to eat before I had to go pick up my class at the end of lunch. That is, unless I had something else I had to do, like make copies, or something. In that case, I might have 10 minutes to eat, if I am lucky. How do you eat at a snail's pace then?

I did some reading on www.mckenna.com, looking for information on this topic. There are some excellent ideas on the forums which are worth trying. Basically it just means being resourceful and creative about how you find the time to eat.

Eating consciously is not something I do easily. I love to watch TV and eat, but have been sitting at the dining table this week, and yes it is making a difference in how much I eat!

WooooooHooooooo!! My weight is once again on the downward slide!!!

No comments: