Google
 

Monday, August 6, 2007

Slippery Things

In previous posts I wrote about "Slippery Places" and "Slippery People". Today I am writing about Slippery Things.
But first, I wish to talk about my grandmother. She is definitely one of my slippery people. Visiting my grandparents, "Mom" and "Pop" as we called them, was one of the joys of my life. I could write a book, just about those visits. We would go and stay for two or three weeks at a time and loved every minute of it. I don't know how they put up with us for that long, but they did.
Food, was never a problem for me there. I ate everything I could for the entire visit. Mom's cooking was always wonderful and she always cooked large quantities. Therefore I always ate large quantities. I had no control over my eating. She always had candy and ice cream. Yep. I couldn't, no didn't, resist those goodies as well.
Pop passed away almost 13 years ago, and Mom is now 96. I go to see her as often as I can and even though she can't cook for me any more, being in control of what I eat is still a big challenge for me. I was with her today; took her to the doctor and then out to eat. I didn't break my diet the entire time I was with her, but it was a major challenge.
Slippery things, for an overeater would be first of all, something we called Trigger Foods in Overeaters Anonymous. These are foods that will trigger a desire to eat more and more when you eat them. You know those foods. "Can't each just one!" More likely, "Can't eat just one bag!"
If you are a recovering compulsive overeater, you know what your trigger foods are, and you know you can never safely those foods again. Ever. They will always be a temptation for you. If you think that you are over your obsession for that food and you can get by with just eating a small amount, then most likely you have lost the battle with that food. Eventually it will get you!

Slippery places, slippery people, slippery things. They will always be in our lives. They will not go away. However, they can be controlled. People are doing it every day and we can too. There is no room for self pity or whining here. Those are not constructive activities and they do not change reality.

Our job it to hold our heads up, be strong and proud. We are living our lives with major challenges. With God's help, we will control our 'lion', our overeating addiction.
As Mom says, "Count your blessings, not your pains!"

No comments: